Friday, September 18, 2009

Livin' la vida English!




In my "pod" Flying into Heathrow Trevor & Karina's sun room








It has been another wonderful day with Trevor and Karina.



Last night, after blogging, Trevor and I sat in the kitchen with a "cuppa" and "nattered on" until 2 AM!! Didn't seem so bad until it came time to rise this morning. Though Trevor had promised to "knock me up" early, in point of fact, I didn't roll out until after 10 AM and then it was to scramble getting freshened up and dressed and out to East Grinstead so that we could take care of a few errands like getting a mobile phone that would work in the UK -- our Verizon phones will not -- changing currency and buying adapters as those we had purchased in the US, I forgot to pack! It was amazing to me to be in a picturesque English town, bustling with activity, with buildings for the 16th century and earlier lining some of the streets! We managed to accomplish our errands with slow dispatch -- there were queues EVERYWHERE! -- and headed home to dress for a surprise birthday lunch for Karina. Trevor was adamant that we should arrive around 12:30 so that Karina wouldn't see cars from friends in the parking lot. We went to (I hope I get this right) Haxted Mill, an old grist mill converted to a restaurant. We were seated in the sun on the terrace and Karina was very surprised when her friends showed up to celebrate with us. Lovely pink champagne, followed by an onion and goat cheese tart for a starter and I had the salmon with a tarragon cream sauce while Jeff went for the venison with a port wine sauce flavored with deep dark chocolate. Why was no one surprised that he chose a dish with chocolate? ;-) We ate in the upstairs of the mill, a (I think this is the correct term) daub and wattle Tudor style and the landlady said that parts of the mill were from the 15th century and others were newer -- 16th and 17th century!! Does this blow your mind? I have to say that the stairs to the second floor were just short of an upholstered ladder and I wouldn't have wanted to get a load on up there to try to navigate them slighty potted!



Downstairs and back out onto the patio near the millrace (which is abysmally dry -- there is a moderate drought in this area of England right now) for coffee and sweets (truffles and homemade candies and cookies and shortbreads -- Jeff thought he had died and gone to heaven!) while we watched their dog, a black setter, swim the mill pond with horses in the field behind and weeping willows all along. We walked out into the grounds (Trevor says they have expanded a great deal) ad, well after three, we headed back to the house.



Played with the dogs, Keva and Drammie and I hope I can load photos, in the backyard and everyone wound down and relaxed. This one is Drammie on the fly getting his soccer ball! And Keva chasing her frisbee! Another lovely day today -- weather was beautiful and warm and the company was even better.

I had decided that it was high time that I picked up the chaos that we had created in our guestroom, and at the end, the bed looked so inviting ... thought I would only close my eyes for 20 minutes! Three and a half hours later, Jeff woke me! I had, unfortunately, left my purse at the restaurant and they had called Trevor to say they had it. Apparently, when Trevor came to see if I wanted to go to get it, I was out cold, so he and Jeff fetched the purse, went into town and order Indian curry takeout (I know, makes me really jealous!) and have a pint in the pub next door while they were waiting. The good news was they did wake me for supper!

All have gone to bed as I finish this blog. I am ready, believe it or not, after that long nap. to crawl into bed and sleep again. Tomorrow we are on a castle trek. Will report in on that day then. Our time with Trevor and Karina grows short, but we are trying not to think about leaving. The excitement of London awaits and, hopefully, a visit in Heresford with Scott mid-week. Lots to come.

Off, with love ...

No comments:

Post a Comment